Social Ministry is involved in many types of ministry, depending on the needs of the congregation and the community. Here at St. Matthews we are always looking for new people and fun ideas to help grow our ministry. Some of the things we currently do in our community are:
- Quarterly trips to the Sulzbacher Center for the Homeless. There our volunteers prepare and serve lunch for around 500 homeless individuals.
- Participate in bringing bingo to residents of the First Coast rehabilitation Nursing Home on the second Wednesday of every month. Donated items such as cologne, perfume, aftershave, body wash, any type of jewelry and clothes that can be used as bingo gifts are always needed.
- Collecting items that can be loaned out to those in need of special medical equipment. If you have crutches, canes, wheelchairs, walkers, potty or tub seats, or any other type similar equipment, please consider donating it to this ministry. Items can be left in the church office.
- Annual Crop Walk – several congregations in our community come together to raise funds and awareness to help feed the hungry. Typically St. Matthew’s hosts this event every year.
- Second Harvest Food Bank
- Tutoring small groups of kindergarten and first graders in early reading skills, e.g., alphabet recognition, letter sounds, phonics, sight words, and reading K and 1st grade texts at Lake Lucina Elementary school. We are hoping to grow this program and are in need of more tutors and readers for the school.
- Establishing a Micah’s backpack program at Lake Lucina Elementary School.
- Pancake Ministry – several members joined together to provide a free pancake and sausage breakfast to residents in Arlington once a month in conjunction with the church’s food bank. Every other week, we provide muffins and coffee.
- Ongoing clothing drives to help fill a need in our community.
UPCOMING (Watch for Dates and Times):
- Community Resume Workshops / Interview Skill Building
- Community Computer Classes (Microsoft Word / Excel, Facebook, Google Mail/Calendar)
- Other Workshops and Classes, i.e., Fitness, Financial, Etc.
This is an exciting time at St. Matthews’. We are committed to growing and impacting our community. Please feel free to reach out to us if you need any information about our programs or if you would like to become a part of this wonderful ministry. Church contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 904-744-5333.